An orthodontic consultation at our Liverpool Smile Studio provides patients with all available treatment method options for them to consider. This is an opportunity for our patients to ask as many questions about treatments, procedures and after care guidelines as they like, to ensure that they make the best possible decision in going forward.
When is an orthodontic consultation necessary?
Finding an orthodontist in Liverpool for a consultation may be beneficial for:
patients interested in wearing braces, or any other teeth-straightening device;
patients who require orthodontic services, to help solve an existing dental problem.
A patient’s first orthodontic assessment is generally carried out at seven years of age. This evaluation is necessary to identify any possible bad bite issues and seven is a suitable age to start a treatment process to correct the dental condition.
Steps involved during an orthodontic consultation
In order to fully understand the dental issue you would like to correct, your goals, desired results, and to provide you with the most suitable treatment methods for you, our orthodontist in Liverpool will ensure the following steps are covered:
- To carry out a comprehensive dental and medical review
- Examine the condition of the mouth, teeth and gums
- If necessary, an X-ray will be taken
A scan of the mouth may take a minute or two with the use of a digital x-ray machine.
The dental practitioner will then discuss a formulated treatment plan most suited to a patient’s needs. This plan will include:
- Timeline and duration of treatment process
- Relevant costs
- Possible financing options or payment plans
Patients may even receive educational materials on good dental health habits suitable for patients wearing braces or aligners to read over.
Essential questions to ask during a consultation
For many patients seeking orthodontic treatment can be regarded as a major investment, so when discussing treatment options with an orthodontist in Liverpool, make sure to ask important questions to understand exactly what the treatment solution offers and why it is being recommended. The following questions are good to include on your ask-questions-list:
- What are the pros and cons of the different types of orthodontic treatments available?
- Which treatment option is the most cost-effective and will produce the desired results?
- Will tooth extractions be necessary?
- What other dental treatments have to be considered to ensure effective results?
- What are the complications or risks attached to this treatment?
- What is the maintenance or aftercare needs for each option? (Whichever treatment you choose must fit into your lifestyle so that you remain committed to the treatment – there is minimal disruption to your routine.)
The initial consultation can last between half an hour to an hour. Knowing what to expect during a consultation helps in preparing a patient – they know what to expect, feel comfortable with the process involved and ready to ask for information that will help them achieve a healthy and functional smile. After this consultation, patients have to take the time necessary to consider all the points discussed before making a final decision.